Saturday, February 13, 2021

A Toast to Double Shots, Higher Sodium Happiness

[Note: this is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

2/13/21

Well, the BIG event here this week was on Thursday, when Karen and I got our second Covid vaccinations.  Whoopie!  Went like clockwork, even more efficient and smooth than the first time.  They already had our info and after filling out a brief questionnaire about reactions to the first one (nil for us), we went to the injection station, this time with several more people giving them so it went very fast.  Even though it was quick, everyone was Hawai’i friendly, helpful, and upbeat.  Many of the injectees were people returning from three weeks ago, but there were also quite a few first-timers, and the pace was definitely much quicker and more streamlined.  We celebrated with a seafood lunch at an open-air restaurant (poke nachos and coconut shrimp), and then later with a sunset champagne toast.

Both of us had somewhat stronger reactions to the second shot than the first. Sore arms, a bit tired, and for me a brief round of body aches, chills, and joint pain beginning about 12 hours after the shot but going away in about 4-5 hours. Friday I was still pooped until things started to turn around about 4pm, Oh, and my appetite for a nice tender leg of toddler returned, along with my urge to give Bill Gates all my money. Not too bad today, though.  I think I'll be able to resist both.

Our island is doing very well in terms of the virus, in part because of the vaccination program and also because of our pre-arrival testing requirement for travelers and the fact that most people are being responsible regarding mask wearing and distancing.  Twice this week we had only one new case reported.

Also on Thursday I had another blood test, exactly 2 weeks since I quit taking the diuretic. According to my online results, my sodium level has risen well into the normal range. BP is holding steady so far, and acceptable.  All is good.  I will close out the week with yet another medical event, with a eyeball exam later today.  I may need a shot of Eylea, and I’m going to keep a low threshold for getting one, because the temporary coverage my insurance has granted runs out later this month. I’ll update you next week.

Karen played golf on Monday and we went to PF on Wednesday.  The weather was gorgeous for Karen’s golf game, and our workout was good in terms of few people in the facility.  Our reward this week was a lemon grass sandwich from our usual Vietnamese restaurant, which we ate on a beach picnic.

Ok, watch out for frostbite and stay healthy.


6 comments:

Cecilia said...

Congratulations on finishing your double shots! And for getting the sodium up while managing BO! Sounds like a good week to me!

Cecilia said...

BP for Blood Pressure!! Sorry! Darn you autocorrect!

Richard Sherman said...

Well, at least that was a clean autocorrect. Actually, my BO is also pretty well controlled, too. If you want to take a deeper dive, try past blogs
Sweet Sweat: Part I - Liquid Gold (https://wordspout.blogspot.com/2016/01/sweet-sweat-part-i-liquid-gold.html) and
Sweet Sweat, Part 2: "Never Let Them See You Sweat... (https://wordspout.blogspot.com/2016/02/sweet-sweat-part-2-never-let-them-see.html)

Chris said...

Glad you have finished your immunizations and seem to be in good shape.

Hoppy said...

---Just got your second shot, eh. You must be really old!
---Do you have hand tremors? Whenever you type "Hawaii" you throw in an apostrophe.
---Celebrate with poke? When you're down and out what do you eat?
---Great to read that something can be done about your BO.

Richard Sherman said...

Hey Hoppy! Thanks for the comments. We geezers are very tolerant of young whippersnappers, otherwise I would take you to task for not respecting your elders.

Hawai'i with an apostrophe is the correct spelling. The Protestant missionaries who developed the written form of the Hawaiian language in the 1820's (no apostrophe because it is an English word when the "an" is added) came up with a very regular method of turning the sounds of native speakers into letters and words. One of the sounds is called a "glottal stop," which is something like the pause in the middle when English speakers say "oh-oh." It is considered a consonant in the written language, and is technically called an 'Okina, not an apostrophe.

Poke (pronounced "pokeh") is raw fish, and is fairly expensive, like sashimi. Definitely not for those who are down and out.

See, you kids still have a lot to learn.