Saturday, July 9, 2022

July 4th, Moving Anniversary, ER

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

7/9/22

Aloha Everybody!

Summer finally arrived here. We've had several sunny days this week that kicked up the thermometer and the solar production.  We even managed to have dinner by the pool a few times because the rain has held off or has been very light.  I wonder how long it will take before we'll start complaining about how hot and dry it is????  I note that much of the country is still a bit warm, too.

Hope you had a good 4th of July.  We didn't do much, other than get some very good corn on the cob that was shipped from the mainland to our local Safeway.  I'm not sure how they do it, but these days we can

get some that tastes almost as good as back in corn country.  However, since supplies are limited here you have to get it quick before the store runs out.  Also, Safeway ran a special for the holiday and this meant people descended on the corn like ants on spilled sugar.  We managed to get enough even to freeze a few ears, though.  Our community fireworks display was held this year at its pre-Covid location, down on the waterfront in town.  Given the recent uptick in virus cases we were hesitant to join a big crowd, but finally decided to mask up and go anyway.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, maybe) we were a little late and the show started as we were driving down to the shore.  We found a good spot on the road and still enjoyed the show -- all 10 minutes of it.  It was really good, with some impressive displays and coordination of high and low stuff, despite being rather short.

On Tuesday the 5th we celebrated our 21st anniversary of moving to Hawai'i.  Hard to believe it has been that long!!  This was the day we actually flew from Cincinnati to Kona on a one-way ticket and arrived at our new house about 8 or 9 pm.  Our furniture and other stuff was still on the way (and took several weeks to arrive) but our new place was fully furnished and we didn't need much.  We were exhausted after all the moving preparations but very, very excited to be starting this new phase in our lives.  The next morning was magical, looking out over the coast and the ocean, quite a contrast to the cornfields of Ohio!  The view wasn't the only difference, and moving here has involved a number of adaptations in lifestyle and attitude, and has involved learning a lot of new things about cultures, geology, gardening, house maintenance, critter control.  We celebrated our anniversary with a workout at Planet Fitness, champagne on the lanai at sunset, and homemade tacos for dinner.

I'm back on cat care duty because on Wednesday our friend fell at her house and broke her leg.  She called us late afternoon and we rushed over, thinking we might drive her to the ER.  But it was clear that moving her ourselves might do more damage, so she called for an ambulance.  I timed their arrival at just 8 minutes, a comforting implication for those of us who might need the service ourselves. We followed her to the hospital and waited to see what her condition was.  She wound up staying overnight and will stay at least one or two more because she had to have surgery to fix a problem with her knee.  Sheese!  It goes to show you that sh*t happens unexpectedly, no matter how careful you are. 

Today I have my followup eye exam. I'm not sure if I will need an injection, but it will be 11 weeks since the last one, almost 3 months!  

Ok, off to our usual Saturday morning routine.  Hang in there.  Enjoy your summer.


5 comments:

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

Glad it wasn't either of you going to the ER! I made one trip recently, but it was uneventful, mostly because urgent care didn't have the right equipment. One traveler to another, we are making a big trip tomorrow. Almost 400 miles north up the state of California to Mammoth Lakes! I know, it's not international, not very exotic, but with Mammoth there's always the hidden drama that the mountain could blow up! I don't think most Californians have any idea it is an active volcano and monitored all the time for seismic hula moves! I suppose that would a spectacular trip if it were to blow while we are there!

Richard Sherman said...

Good luck on your trip. The risk of being blown up is part of the adventure, right????

Anonymous said...

We marked our 21st anniversary of moving to Hawaii in January. Still the best move we’ve ever made, and we have lived in a LOT of tropical countries. Pamela

Coleen Hanna said...

I have fallen three times in four weeks. Wait, I am not even 70 yet so what gives? The first fall was in a bathtub in Denmark. I banged up my knee a little, but was otherwise OK. A little Ibuprofen and I was off to the races. The second fall was last week from my bicycle. I had my backpack stuffed with groceries and my front wheel slid on damp grass and the backpack shifted, and I went down on the street. Bloody right elbow but otherwise OK. I got back on the bike, drove home, and cleaned and bandaged the wound. It is almost healed. Yesterday I was on a garden walk. I sat on a metal bench and the thing collapsed on top of me. I had a hard time getting up and my lower back was a little sore. I saw how easily I could have been lacerated by one of the broken metal parts. Now I am fine. Could it be that someone is watching out for me? Actually, I am beginning to be fearful that there will be another fall and it won’t turn out so well. I feel for your friend. Please keep us up to date on her progress.

Richard Sherman said...

Ouch! What a string of bad stuff happening! Our friend is doing well, and will soon be transferred from the hospital to a rehab facility, where she'll be for a couple of weeks. She's getting physical therapy and also being taught how to get around and do things without using her leg until it is completely healed, a total of 12 weeks. After that I imagine she'll need more physical therapy to regain full use of her leg. What an ordeal, eh?