Saturday, November 12, 2022

The "C" Word, Spring Travel Plans, Long Johns

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

11/12/22

Aloha Guys  --

Neighbor's Tree Bling
Well, I see the mainland is getting a teensy preview of winter and that four letter word that begins with "s" and ends with "w.'  Here it got down to a frigid 65 degrees on Thursday night.  To avoid frostbite, I got out my sweatpants and a long-sleeved shirt for the first few hours after I got up Friday morning.  How about you?   

On Wednesday I got the results of the biopsies on the skin growths I had cut off.  The one on my arm is just some kind of pre-cancer, but the one on my leg is a squamous cell carcinoma.  Fortunately we caught it early and the initial treatment is exactly what we did -- removal plus cauterization and scraping. If it comes back again I'll have Mohs surgery to get all the nasty cancer cells.  Gee, this getting older is such fun!  On a more positive medical note, today I'll see my retina doctor, and even if I have to have a shot, this has been a long time (3 months!) since the last one.  I don't think my vision in the bad eye has changed all that much, but the real indicator is the laser scan and it will be interesting to find out what it shows in the way of oozing.  Maybe I can go one more month, another new record!

I mentioned last week that we have made plans for a short trip to LA in early December.  This week we also made flight arrangements for a trip next spring to southern France and northern/central Italy.  These are two of our favorite countries and we've visited both of them a number of times over the years.  But it has been a long time since we were in either one and we're eager to return. Our plan is to fly into Marseilles and return from Rome.  Most of the time will be in northern and central Italy, but the first week will be in Provence and the area of France known as the Haut Var. We have spent a fair amount of time there, as well as along the French Riviera, but it is such a fabulous place we don't mind seeing (and tasting) it again.  Also, we know an expat living in Nimes that we may be able to get together with, and another in Menton, near Monte Carlo.  In Italy we'll start in the northwest area called Piemonte, around Turin and to the west where the Alps separate France and Italy.  We'll spend a few days  in Genoa,  then return to Tuscany and Umbria, staying in the towns of Voltara, Assisi, and Orvieto.  One goal near the end of the trip is to visit the festival of  Le Infiorate in the village of Spello, where each year the main street is carpeted with flowers arranged by local artists.  This is a trip entirely on our own and our plan is to travel mostly by car.  I'm making the reservations at hotels and mapping out the exact itinerary, and Karen has researched and made the flight arrangements and the car rental.  Both of us spend a lot of time doing this, but as I've said before, the effort is very educational and enjoyable.  In my case, I read guidebooks and research the internet to find out where we might want to go and what the attractions are, and within a specific town, what the accommodations are like, where they are located, and what other people have thought of them, including guidebook authors.  These days important issues have become things like parking, nearby transportation, and whether the hotel has an elevator.  By the time I'm done, I have really learned a lot, not only about the places on our itinerary, but also about the places I've rejected. You'll note I haven't mentioned destinations like Milan, Florence, Venice, Siena, Cinque Terre, etc.  This is because we've stayed in all of them on previous trips, so we've opted to focus on other places this time.

The radiology clinic that I mentioned last week is still closed down.  They've now admitted they were hacked but still haven't given any details about the nature of the problems nor when they might be resolved.  Seriously frustrating.  I suspect a ransomware attack, but if the clinic had been following best-practices regarding security and back-up, they would be recovered by now.  Given that ransom attacks aren't new, and that measures exist to both prevent them and mitigate their damage, it is simply no excuse to just blame the bad guys. 

On Thursday I went to Planet Fitness and Karen played golf.  Note that I'm on the alternate-week plan as far as the gym and golf are concerned.  No reason to overdo it, I figure.

I won't say anything about the election results, other than the observation that the overall outcome was mixed enough to make it a Rorschach test -- you can pretty much spin the outcome any way you want.  I have my preferred spin, of course, as I'm sure you do.

Off to market, beach breakfast, then to my eyeball exam.  Take care, stay safe, well, and warm.

3 comments:

Coleen Hanna said...

Your description of your spring trip planning has me excited and I am not the one going! I think you will have a wonderful time. Meanwhile, tell us a little bit about the trip to L.A. when you come back. I am thrilled that Kathy Hochul was elected NY gov, but I would have liked to see her beat Zeldin by more. Still, she is now the first female elected gov of NY and she is one of our own (born and raised in the village of Hamburg, where I live).

Anne said...

I too would like to accompany you on your spring trip to France and Italy. Sounds so lovely.

Richard Sherman said...

I'm still in the planning stages but getting more and more excited about the trip. Art, architecture, history, beautiful countryside, and REALLY good food. What's not to like?