Saturday, February 4, 2023

Big Blow, Eyeball, Painting

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

2/4/23

Aloha Peoplecicles!

Guarding against frostbite, I hope?  I seem to remember that's a condition where the skin freezes when exposed to below-zero temperatures, right?  Gosh, that sounds bad......

We did have a bit of inclement weather here that was kind of exciting for a short while.  Last Saturday afternoon we had thunder, lightning, and about an inch of rain.  By itself, this isn't that big a deal, but

Taking a Dip
this was all at once and was accompanied by some rather scary gusts of wind, one them lifting one of our pool lanai umbrellas and dropping it in the pool.  The rain overwhelmed the drain that runs along the front of our garage door and we almost had a second swimming pool in the garage for a while.  Fortunately it settled down to just light rain and then cloudy skies all day Sunday.  It took a little work to get everything cleaned up, and I'm afraid the dunk in the pool shorted out the solar light system on the umbrella.  And the cloudy weather dropped the pool temperature to near freezing, to the point that we've not been in much this week.

The storm did have one upside, though -- it temporarily got rid of our vog for a few days. It's starting to build back up now, but so far it isn't too bad. By the way, the eruption at the summit of Kilauea is continuing, with a short pause a couple of days ago.  There's a 25-acre lava lake inside the summit caldera, and one "fountain" that's more like a gusher.  You can see a live video of the action here:  https://www.youtube.com/usgs/live .

My eye exam last Saturday went very well.  The all-important scan showed no edema buildup at all -- nada, zip, zero.  Very good news indeed.  My next appointment will be in 6 weeks,  almost 4 months (!) since my last injection.  My eyeball is loving not being jabbed as often.

I did two PF workouts this week -- Karen and I went on Monday, and I went again on Thursday while she played golf.  My muscles seem to be getting resigned to the effort, because it seemed considerably easier on Thursday.

Also on Thursday I re-stained our breezeway lanai.  This is a wood surface that connects the main house with our separate guest quarters and the lanai that goes around the upper one.  It's been quite some time since I last did this, and it now looks *much* better.  I use a solid stain that is kind of a grey color.  It's sort of like paint but is easier to work with and lasts about the same.  Naturally, this will now lead to another project, because the new color is noticeably brighter and more grey and draws unfavorable attention to the rest of the lanai.  In other words, I'll be re-staining the whole thing so it all matches.  I admit, though, that I haven't had to do much painting lately, so I guess it's time to start it all over again.

The concert last Saturday night in Waimea was terrific. The choreography was inventive and mesmerizing, and the young dancers showed great finesse and athleticism.  As I said last week, the group (Giordano) is a well-known and highly respected troupe based in Chicago, and I'm sure they were very happy to be here rather than there for a while.  Plus, they were put up at the Hapuna Prince, one of the fancy resorts up north.  Not a bad gig!

Ok, that's about it for this week.  Off for the usual round of market, beach breakfast, and errands in town.  Take care, stay warm, be safe.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Good news about your eye.

Anonymous said...

hanks for the link to the activity at Kilauea! Anne