Saturday, April 29, 2023

Coqui In The Buff, Eyeball Unmolested, Sparkling Driveway

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

4/29/23
 
Aloha Family!
 
We've definitely had our April showers this month (another 4+ inches this week), but of course here we
Kona Beachmobile

already (always) have the May flowers to go with them.  Another sign of spring has been the additional cruise ships making stops.  We always have a visit on Wednesdays, when the island cruise based in Honolulu comes to town.  However, in the spring we also get ships that are repositioning from their southern winter routes to their northern ones for the summer. This week we had three extras -- one on Saturday, another on Tuesday, and one on Thursday. This makes the town merchants very happy, of course.  It's such a far cry from a couple of years ago during Covid when the waterfront area was basically a ghost town.  It also makes for a very picturesque view of our bay.
 
This next item will convince you that I've lost it and may be ready for the rubber room.  I am very determined to keep coqui frogs out of our property, and I've become an avid and accomplished hunter.  This past week one tried to move into a large pot near our front door and I finally nailed him after an
Be Thankful No Selfie

initial difficult time pinning down where he was.  When coquis move into a new territory they tend to be timid about singing at first, and this one would stop just about the time I got close enough to spot him.  He finally got bold enough to sing a little too long, and my hand of doom ended his career.  Well, a few days later another one started up in the front of our house, but further down our path toward the garden.  As soon as I'd rush outside at the beginning of his song he'd shut up.  However, after a few days he got more cocky and I was getting closer each time he sang.  Then the other night when I got up to use the bathroom I heard him going for extended periods.  I got my headlight and my flip flops and went out to the garden path.  Please note, I had nothing else on because I didn't want to take the time to get dressed (besides, it was a warm night and the area where I was wasn't visible to anybody who might be passing by).  Sure enough, he started chirping and I zeroed in on him pretty quickly.  He was soon in the freezer, I was back in my warm bed, and it was blissfully quiet.

On Tuesday I saw my retina doctor and my eyeball was deemed not to need a shot.  We're going to wait two weeks and then I'll get one for sure.  That will last me until we return from our trip.  Two months is my current minimum interval, and it seems to be creeping up towards three months.  Yay!!  Speaking of shots, Karen and I had our additional Covid boosters on Thursday.  This will give our immune systems enough time to whomp up the Covid antibodies before our trip.  I had a pretty significant reaction for about a day, mostly feeling blah and achy.  Karen had the blahs, but she also had a very sore arm.  Still, these symptoms beat the heck out of the disease itself.
 
No golf this week, though we did visit the gym on Tuesday.  We canceled the golf because it rained the whole day before and it would have been just too wet and soggy.

My big house project for the week was to powerwash our driveway in preparation for re-coating it next week.  It had been quite some time since I had done this and it turned out to be quite a chore.  I've got my handyman scheduled for next Tuesday to help me do the painting, but I'm a little worried about the weather.  The coating has to have several hours drying time before it is rain proof.  We'll start very early and hope it stays dry long enough to be ok.  We do this with paint rollers on poles and it usually takes a couple of hours.  This coating not only makes the driveway look nice, it really helps in keeping down the mold and mildew around the house.  

Ok, that's the news for the week.  I also had a techno-woe that required way too much time and frustration to solve, but I'll spare you the details.  Stay well, enjoy your Spring.


3 comments:

Coleen Hanna said...

Does the sound of the Coqui frogs ever rouse you from your sleep? It sound like eradicating them is a losing proposition.

Cecilia said...

Somehow seems more fair to hunt in the buff with your bare hands. That’s the way the frogs are, too. Levels the field.

Richard Sherman said...

Coleen -- eradication is no longer a goal. Detente is a practical alternative. I generally sleep with earplugs to lessen the noise from our neighbors' coquis.

Cecilia -- I may have given new meaning to "flip flops."