Saturday, October 24, 2020

Tuning a Toilet, Shooting 3 Pars, and Poking an Eyeball

 [Note -- this is another in my series of blogs based on weekly emails I send to my family on the mainland.] 

10/24/20
                           
Aloha Everybody –

Hope you’re enjoying your fall yo-yo weather.  Looks like you’ve had some nice days and some that...aren’t.  It’s pretty much the same here as always, though to us local residents it seems like fall is here – cool nights (last night 67d at our house) and shorter days.  Sunset now is at 6pm, sunrise not until 6:20 am.  Tourists who associate warm weather with long summer days on the mainland are usually surprised by this, but our being closer to the equator (about 19d north) means our seasonal swings aren’t all that much – we’re always about 12/12 plus or minus an hour or so.

Did indeed have an eye injection last Saturday, but the fact that it had been 3 months is great news.  Also, there wasn’t a huge problem and this was more of a precautionary move.  My retina guy even said the thickness of my retina has improved noticeably, a very good thing though it doesn’t mean I’ll regain much of the vision already lost.  Next appointment in 6 weeks.

Karen played golf on Tuesday and shot *3* pars!  Obviously, playing weekly has paid off for her.  She also reported seeing 8-10 Nene mating pairs on the course.  Nenes are our state bird, descended from some Canadian geese that arrived here about 500k years ago.  They’ve now evolved into their own distinct species and are found only in Hawaii.  They’re smaller than regular Canadian geese, have deeper striations on their necks, feet that are more padded, don’t tend to flock together as much, and they mate for life. They love golf courses, where we humans have actually *created* habitat that encourages breeding and thus has helped to bring them back from near extinction.  They usually move to some other part of the island during the summer (I think to higher elevations) , so these are the first ones she’s seen since spring.  Makalei is a real haven for them, and definitely an added attraction to the course.


My rebuilding of our master bathroom toilet didn’t quite lead to fixing the problem, as I reported last week.  I was puzzled that the valve continued to run intermittently, but this week I figured it out.  All it took was a few adjustments to the height of the filler tube and after that it has been working perfectly.  This was another case of looking at something very, very closely and reasoning it out.  I plan to keep trying this as long as my grey cells allow.

Tourists are arriving in droves – about 4k since Thursday, apparently not deterred by the pre-testing requirement.  Merchants are happy – for now.  How much of an upsurge we get in a couple of weeks will be crucial to whether this is sustainable.  We continue to have new cases among locals and this means there is “community spread.”  A likely cause of this is that there is a cultural preference for large multi-generational family living arrangements among some groups of people here, many of whom are essential workers who come into contact with the community at large.  When visitors become part of the community, their Hawai’i vacation may turn out to be not as fun as they had hoped.  The biggest problem so far is educating some of the mainlanders that masks aren’t optional here – they’re required.  The logic is clear and based on solid research.  A few days after testing negative you can be infected and then be spreading the virus before showing symptoms.  A mask is the best way to prevent that,  period.  I’ll also repeat my mantra that as Covid 19 cases fill up our meager medical facilities this means that non-Covid emergencies and hospitalizations will be a real challenge, including the kinds of problems that tourists encounter.

Worked out yesterday at PF and it was pretty empty around 12:30.  Everyone was masked up and spaced out – except for one old fart who looked like a returning snowbird, with a t-shirt that had “Casanova” printed on the front.  He had his mask pulled up as he shuffled from one machine to the next, then promptly lowered it around his neck as he exercised on it. I lost track of him, then a short time later I saw him at the front desk with his mask down arguing with the staff.  I couldn't hear the exchange, but he had that "screw-you-I'll-do-what-I-want" look on his face. Then he left, with his mask still down.  I’m not sure, but I think they kicked him out.  Good. I let them know when we left that appreciated their diligence and as long as they kept it up we would keep coming.  Geesh!  After our workout we got another Vietnamese sandwich at had a beech picnic lunch watching the surfers.

Ok, yet another beautiful morning.  Off on our usual rounds. Stay warm, healthy, and sane, and away from old guys with Casanova t-shirts.


3 comments:

SimoneStan said...

Sounds lovely in paradise. Here on this part of the mainland we have had a few very warm days, as a last gasp of summer. But the fall is well and truly here. One can tell from all the leafs covering the ground and the acorns are quite plentiful. This years they are lying in mounds, so many the squirrels can’t keep up with burying them. For Stan the end of the semester is in sight and for me, I still have stacks of library books to read, DVDs to watch, programs to stream, people to email, and phone calls with my brothers. I’m not getting all the things done around the house a quickly as I thought, the house is not as clean as I would like, but there is an apple tart in the oven and an old Inspector Morse waiting to be watched, and Egg will let us know when she wishes to be walked.

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

Another day of trimming bushes and oleander! I am also harvesting gravel from the back drive way and using it on a garden pathway. In some places the drive had more gravel than necessary, so this works to distribute and get another benefit out of it. Re-purposing I suppose. We went from hot, near 90 to cool, 63 daytime highs this week. Maybe fall is here? Had a couple of nice hikes at local reserves with the cooler weather. Some where different from my usual neighborhood saunter. Had our first meal out on State Street (our main) where the street is now closed and "pedestrianized" with table and chairs where there are bars and restaurants to allow good social and out door distancing. I don't seem to be displaying any Covid symptoms so far and hope not to!


Hoppy said...

This is a long one but what else do you have to do? I enjoyed reading SimoneStan and Dennis Nord's comments. They're right, the answer to life's challenges are an apple tart and re-purposing. I feel obliged to defend San Diego's weather. We did eke into the 90's for a few days, but it made us even more appreciative of our usual 70 and sunny weather. This is probably a good time to question why our keyboards don't allow for the symbol for degrees. You had need for it, Dick, discussing your temperatures and latitude. You made do with the letter "d" but for me it doesn't suffice. Maybe one of your future projects might be to reprogram your computer. I also noticed your use of asterisks surrounding the number of Karen's pars. That threw me for a loop, it was like I was seeing stars. You continue to educate us, Dick. I don't know how I feel about that. On the one hand, it's always nice to learn more. On the other, after 17 years of formal schooling I felt entitled to never again listen to any teacher. So I guess I'm somewhat grateful to learn about night/day splits and nenes. As for your toilet problem, I'm just sorry Hawaii doesn't have plumbers to call.