Saturday, December 19, 2020

Phone Switcheroo, Vaccine Arrives

[Note: this is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

12/19/20

Aloha Everybody!

I’d complain about our cold weather, the frigid 65d we hit as our low the other night, how we’ve had to cope with our pool dropping to 79d, and the weather preventing us from having dinner outside by our pool, but that would be cruel, so I certainly won’t...

Ok, after much too much effort and wasted time, I finally made contact with two customer service reps who actually knew what the h*** they were doing, one at Hawaiian Telcom and the other at my new wireless phone service.  The problem was something called an account porting out passcode, which is needed for a new service to get the old service to release your phone number so it can be transferred.  As it turns out in the case of antique land lines, many local phone companies, including Hawaiian Telcom, don’t have them.  Unless you have an experienced and knowledgeable person at the new service company who knows this, you’re kind of stuck in limbo. The solution, it turns out, is simple – provide any number at all as the code and the land line company will accept it and release the phone number!  Once I initiated this process it took only 36 hours for it to happen.

So on Wednesday I slip-slided into to 21st century and if you call our old number it will go through as a wireless call to the new cheapo phone I bought.  This part seems to work pretty good so far.  There are still some wrinkles to work out with linking the house phones to the cell phone but I’m making progress.  At first I had some difficulty with Karen hearing me when I called from a location in town. Another issue is that if someone leaves a phone message it only appears on the cell phone, not the house phone base unit.  This is kind of a pain, but I haven’t tried all the options yet. A third issue is that the house phone in one room downstairs where Karen spends a lot of time has difficulty linking to the base unit, which is upstairs.  I’m experimenting with different locations for both to see if that will improve it.  Otherwise the other phones seem to connect just fine.  I’ll let you know how this goes.  Of course, most “modern” people just keep their cell phones with them at all times, so they don’t know what the issue is.

This week the state of Hawai’i received the first batches of the Pfizer vaccine and within hours it was distributed to the other islands.  Ours arrived and was immediately distributed to our hospitals and health care workers began receiving injections.  All this went very smoothly, a result of State and County planning, and even going through a practice run last week. As everywhere else, the first doses will go to health care workers and then nursing home residents, essential workers, and geezers with pre-existing conditions that would make their getting Covid highly risky.  It isn’t clear yet how this will be determined, but I think doctors will be advised of vaccine doses and can certify eligible patients to be vaccinated.  Depending on how much vaccine is manufactured and distributed, most of us on Hawai’i island could get it by late spring next year.  

Btw, I just read a very good article (https://www.wired.com/story/vaccines-are-here-we-have-to-talk-about-side-effects/) that urges an info campaign about the very likely but short-lived side effects of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines so that people don’t freak out when they get them (fatigue 59.4 %, headaches 51.7%, muscle 37.3 %, joint pain 21.9 % chills 35.1 %, fever 15.8 %). These might sound bad, but they pass in a few days, and the alternative could be much, much worse. Some of our travel vaccines have also laid us low so we are kind of used to this. Also, here's a summary of how the Moderna and Pfitzer vaccines compare in effectiveness at various age groups and pre-existing conditions.

Ok, off to market and beach picnic. Hang in there. Stay warm.

3 comments:

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

We heard the side effects might be similar to the latest round of shingles shots and the side effects from those. They were the worst either of use have experienced from any shot, but still better than shingles, which I have had. I will take the new vaccine and hope it's no worse than shingles, but regardless, its likely much better than my chances with Covid-19!

Waiting for new phones to replace malfunctioning phones and moving to new carrier at our house. So we will be on a trial basis to see if they work for us out in the mtns! Still keeping land line as cell towers go out first in fires (at least some times) and maybe earthquake so it's a back up

Richard Sherman said...

Karen just had her first of the two shingles shots yesterday. So far only a sore arm and a little fatigue. We'll see how the second one goes. From the difference with you it seems there might be wide individual variation in the reaction. I had shingles about 6 years ago and it was hell. I will have the new vaccine in time, but I'm holding off because I may be eligible for an early geezer covid vaccine.

I have now done a bit more research and it seems the Moderna version is more likely that Pfizer to produce side effects, but it is also more effective in people in our age group who also have pre-existing conditions like mine. It also appears from the trial data to be more effective in preventing severe cases.

Good luck on the phones. In your situation I'd say keeping the land line is a good idea....

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

Thanks for sharing your research on the vaccination differences. I don't know if there will be a choice of brand other than to say no to an opportunity and wait for the other? The second of our shingles laid us both low for most of a week, I had much more reaction than Carole which included fever, chills, shaking worse than anything I've ever had, but I haven't had shingles again so far. I guess it's been about a year since I had the last treatment.