Sunday, November 7, 2021

The Bogey Man is Back!

Ghoulish Gecko

 [Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

11/6/21

 

 

Aloha, Everyone --

Happy Halloween! It was pretty much a non-event here, as usual. There are almost no small kids in our neighborhood, so the action is always elsewhere. We don't even buy candy. Which means, unfortunately, no left-overs (I particularly used to like the little Snickers bars).

I hope you're well and staying warm. I've noticed a definite downward trend to your daily temps, particularly at night. Same here. Last Monday night it got down to 63d! I got that new pool cover on just in time, and it has been working well -- despite the frigid night time temps our water has stayed about 82d during the day. It does drop the water temp at night, but only by a couple of degrees, and the frequent sunny days we've been having bring it back up to a comfortable level.

On Tuesday I went golfing with Karen as her substitute partner while her regular golf buddy is on the mainland. We saw about 20 pairs of Nenes and at least 30 Peacocks (the course mascot), and once again

King of the Club House
the weather was very nice. I made it through 16 holes but pooped out.  Remember, we duffers take a LOT more shots that anyone else. The best part, though, was that I got TWO bogeys again! As you may recall, I've done that once before playing with Karen. I was very pleasantly surprised that I did so well, given my lack of practice. I should confess, though, that we play by "Mar-a-Lago" rules, which means there is a somewhat loose connection between reality as it is and reality as we want it to be. Do-overs are permitted and not counted, and adjustments to the location of the ball before a shot are ok as long as your partner doesn't see it. Anyway, I really still did ok, enough to agree to go again next week.

Our governor has deemed the state's Covid situation to be improved enough to relax travel restrictions for international visitors beginning next week. This has pleased those who depend on tourism for income, but it may mean a return to our over-taxed infrastructure situation that we had a few months ago. Visitors from other countries can escape quarantine by being vaccinated and having a negative test within 48 hours of boarding their flight to the US. Hawaii will accept that as long as they go straight through.

Also announced was a relaxation of occupancy restrictions for businesses as long as they require proof of vaccination or a negative test result. This is good news for restaurants, bars and gyms who have been barely breaking even at 50%.

What????
Our island has reached 67% vaccinated but it has been excruciatingly slow. Part of the reason is that anti-vaxers are still trying to save us from the evils of science and logic. For example, one roadside proselytizer here claims that THE leading cause of death worldwide is "medical poisoning." Got it? Medical drugs and vaccines kill more people than all diseases, old age, wars, and accidents combined. Relative risk assessment may not be this guy's forte....

Ok, off my soap box and on to Farmer's Market and the beach. Take care. Stay healthy and sane.
 

3 comments:

cecilia said...

hey. we buy MORE than enough Snickers for the few kids in the neighborhood just so we will have “leftovers” that we “have” to eat. Strategize!! (or engage in a little self-delusion, whatever it takes!)

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

Cooler is good, rain is better. I'm ready for a rainy season which might show up this year, I hope. I am experimenting with a side-hill water pocket to slow down the runoff and capture a little of that rain before it flows back in the ocean. Not much of an impact, but I might learn something. For example, on the 2.5" rain day my pocket caught almost all the runoff going down the road to our house and the evidence is that very little of it rain out of the pocket. When I went for a post-rain inspection, the bottom had sedimentary deposits, but no standing water. That was only a few minutes after the last significant part of the rain. So, that's interesting to me. It might solve an erosion problem I have and at least stop floating debris from overwhelming my storm drain. Small success!

Richard Sherman said...

If we had even ONE kid in our neighborhood we could rationalize buying several bags of candy. As it is, I guess we'll just admit that we're doing it for ourselves....

Dennis -- Small successes add up to a giant positive effect. Unfortunately that works in reverse, too.