Saturday, January 29, 2022

An Odd Ship, A Workout, A Dead Computer

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

1/29/22

Aloha Y'All!

Still enjoying winter?  Ours is...well, tolerable let's say.  I won't rub it in other than to mention I haven't shoveled any snow for a lonnnnng time.

Early in the week we had yet another cruise ship in port.  This one was one of the Holland American Line, which we've seen before. That makes three ships in the last 1 1/2 weeks!  These aren't the repositioning cruises that B.C. (Before Covid) we saw in the early spring, and seem instead to be special itineraries as companies try to get back into business.  The latest one did something unusual by staying two full days. Most ships arrive around 6-7 am and leave again around 5 pm.  Besides delighting the town merchants, the ship was very picturesque at night with all its lights shining in the bay.

On Tuesday Karen played golf with her friend, and this time the weather was very nice (recall that last

Not a Covid Hotspot
week she got rained out after 5 holes).  She did well, getting two pars and several bogeys.  I decided to go to Planet Fitness and assess the risk of working out.  The place was practically empty, so I stayed and went through my usual routine, which felt very good after not doing it for a couple of weeks.  My muscles let me know the next couple of days that it's better to do this regularly, though.  After carefully assessing the latest research on Omicron, the current status of our health care system here on the island, and the relative payoffs of certain activities versus the risk of severe consequences for me personally, I've decided to try to get on with life as much as is prudent.  Note, I still take precautions to protect myself and other people -- as I think we all should.

I got my new computer completely operational early in the week, and decided to move it to its permanent home in our study.  I had it hooked up to the router in the living room while I tweaked and tested it and transferred everything from the old computer. I shut off both machines and swapped places.  I wanted to keep the old one operational for a couple of weeks in case there were files I needed and/or if I wanted to check some settings.  When I turned it on again, however, the keyboard froze half-way through entering the password.  A light on the keyboard indicated low battery power (it's a wireless keyboard), which is usually no biggie.  However, the batteries had leaked and must have corroded some the internal circuitry because replacing them had no effect.  So at the moment I can't use the old computer at all.  Wow, talk about fortunate timing!  If this had happened before transferring all the files and apps to the new computer I would have had major problems. As it is now I can go ahead and keep using the new computer just fine, and if it becomes crucial that I access the old computer I can probably get a real cheap keyboard somewhere.

Ok. Off to market and to the beach for breakfast.  Stay warm and watch out for frostbite.

5 comments:

cecilia said...

Whew!! what exquisite timing!!
I’m beginning to think about a new computer myself, mine now being about 7 years old. Your story will be a motivator!!

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

That was a coincidence, my keyboard quit while reading this. Phantom of the Sherman toll booth? I checked the batteries. They look pretty strong. Put 'em back in and you can see I'm typing again! Nope, not new computer needed, no new keyboard. Hmmm...

My workout is downstairs with an N of 1 as Carole doesn't seem to be partaking at present. She varies. She is walking sometimes. Pulling lots of weeds more often now. No rain, so weeds won't keep growing too long.

Lack of rain is the only thing missing in our fine weather in Santa Barbara of late. Spectacular sunrise this AM, but, well, no rain! Lots of water visible from the house, all the way to your place. Just need to clear the salt and transport it up the hill!

Anonymous said...

The cruise ship stayed two days because apparently there had been an oil leak or spill at the next port of call on Kauai.

Coleen Hanna said...

Believe it or not, in Buffalo I have not really shoveled snow since we moved here ten years ago. We have a homeowner's association which contracts with someone to plow our streets and driveways, and shovel up to our front door. However, I carry a little shovel in my car and have at times dug out myself or some poor soul I spotted stuck in the snow. I look at it as good exercise, kind of an outdoor Planet Fitness.

AKJ said...

It may reach 40 degrees here today! Plus we have a Bengals win to keep us warm -- and excited!