Saturday, February 19, 2022

1 Ship, 3 Doctors, 5 Friends

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

2/19/22

Aloha Guys!

I'll be nice and skip the snarky comments about weather, other than to say that in contrast to a couple of months ago, we're getting close to having one of our best solar pv production months ever.

Last Saturday we had yet another visit by a cruise ship -- one of the Holland America line.  Merchants along the waterfront must be delighted with the increased business these visits bring.  Sometime next month our weekly ship will resume, and that's more good news.  Beside the economic shot in the arm for the community, it will make it easier for me to keep track of what day of the week it is --  ship in port = Wednesday.

On Sunday we had brunch with our good friend who teaches in Waimea, and her parents who are visiting.  Her parents are also good friends from working days in Ohio, and are staying with her for most of the winter, escaping from Wisconsin where they are living now.  Their daughter teaches at Hawaiian Preparatory Academy, one of the best private high schools here.  She lives on campus as a dorm counselor (!) and after brunch we were able to visit the campus and see the rather impressive facilities.  It is a very attractive place, and her apartment has an excellent view of Mauna Kea and the surrounding countryside.  Very nice. 

On Tuesday I had my 6-month checkup with my internist.  Everything seems ok (considering), and my bloodwork numbers were good,  perhaps a bit better than last time in fact. Sodium has climbed back into the low end of the acceptable range after I ditched the diuretic.  I'm now trying an alternative that so for hasn't caused any problems.  Later today I'll be seeing my retina doctor, so that makes two physicians this week.  With my skin check last week that means I will have had three medical checkups in the last 14 days!  Isn't Geezerhood fun?!  I think my bad retina is ok for now and I probably won't need another injection.  Most likely we will try to go for another month.

Best Part of My Golf Game
I played golf with Karen and her usual partner on Thursday.  This round was...well..challenging. Let's just say that if I played that way all the time I might part ways with the game altogether.  We did see a Nene family (mom, pop, and three chicks) take a swim in the course lake, definitely a treat and a welcome distraction from my game.

Next week we will be hosting our first guests of the year -- good Ohio friends who have been here several times before.  They are on Kaua'i right now and will transfer here on Tuesday.  We're looking forward to it.  They are the first visitors since early last year, when we hosted twin girls and their grandmother, also from Ohio.

Finally, we have made even more travel plans.  We've put a deposit down on a Viking River Cruise along the Danube from Budapest to a town in Germany called Regensburg.  This will be interesting, since we have tended to be rather cool to this kind of travel in the past.  We'll extend it on one or both ends by traveling on our own in Germany.  We've been there before but it was quite a long time ago, and there are parts we've never visited, including Berlin.  We won't plan many details until we have nailed down the Caucasus trip in May.

That's it.  I seem often to start these missives thinking I don't have much to report and then find it was a pretty busy week.  Anyway, I hope all is well with you.  Hang in there.

 


2 comments:

Barbara Eshbaugh said...

Reading your notes almost takes us there...but not really. Things improving here and we havent done each other in just yet but the confinement of weather, ice and my hippy husband are getting old. How many travelers does your upcoming cruise take? Some of those ships look smaller then the ones you most probably see anchored. Take care...H and B

Richard Sherman said...

Hey — the company is Viking , and they have a fleet of what they call longships, some of them very new but all with the same design. We got an unsolicited brochure in the mail and decided to look into their itineraries for next fall. I was surprised to find that many of the September sailings were already booked.

We’re not sure we’re going to like this — it seems pretty passive — but we’ll add more independent time around it. Each ship holds 190 passengers plus crew -- not a lot but still enough to swamp a small town. Look at their itineraries online. You might find something to your liking.

I have to admit that there has been a real psychological boost from having the possibility of getting back to traveling, whether it actually happens or not.