Saturday, February 12, 2022

My Blue Nevus in Azerbaijan

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

2/12/22

Aloha Everybody!

How's your furnace doing these days?  Snicker. We don't have one, as I've mentioned before. Although the nights here have been chilly (60-65d), we've had many sunny days that have finally managed to heat our pool to a relatively comfy 80d.

The big news for us this week was that we heard from our tour company about the May trip to the

Hopeful Itinerary
Caucasus and it looks like it is a go.  They were holding off to see how the Covid situation was developing and what the various restrictions would mean for our itinerary.  The company is combining the May 17 group with the one starting on May 10 to have the minimum number of participants, so we'll be going a week earlier.  To remind you, the company is called Eldertreks and is based in Canada.  We were attracted to them because of their interesting itineraries and because they restrict group size to 16 maximum.  This is the outfit we were scheduled with to go to Ethiopia two years ago until Covid and civil war made it impossible.  Anyway, we're excited to at least have the possibility of going on this trip, and we've been looking into air travel and getting all the forms filled out.  The three countries that make up the Caucasus are Azerbaijan, Armenia, and Georgia -- former reluctant members of the Soviet Union. Russia borders Georgia and Azerbaijan to the north.  To the south of all three are Turkey and Iran. The old saying, "between a rock and a hard place" comes to mind. It's this strategic location that makes the area so historically interesting and worth visiting.

On Wednesday I had my yearly skin check and everything was fine -- including "Ben," my "Blue

My Buddy Ben
Nevus." Ben has done me well in many a Geezer Competitive Complaining contest, and came through again on Wednesday when the trainees observing my exam suddenly crowded around to get a good look when the dermatologist announced that I had a Blue Nevus on my left hand.  Actually, it's a harmless form of a mole, and in my case is quite small.  I've had it for many years, and the variety I have usually doesn't change over time.  I could have it removed but I've kind of grown attached to it (so to speak) and Ben seems like an old friend now. And if I get to Azerbaijan I want him to go, too.

Karen and I went to the Makalei driving range and putting green on Monday, then had a beach picnic.  On Thursday Karen played with her usual partner (*3* pars!) and I went to Planet Fitness. All this exercise puts me in great shape for my extended naps afterward.

That's it.  Enjoy whatever you can.  It's time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Warm pool water sounds way too inviting...Hardy fell on the little hill by the shed trying to put away a wreath..on frozen ground breaking his hip. One life squad trip to Mccullough-Hyde and ICU as he is on blood thinners from new heart valve...and new partial hip...and someone there shared COVID with Wendy and both of us. He was at the Knolls rehab for 10 long days with no visitors except through window- and worried me as he was eating very few calories..but had PT in his room so not just lying down and being blue...He is doing great-stairs often and well but we are probably going to make the move to the Knolls...with me dragging my feet. It is hard for our kids who are in MT or AZ to be "on call" with each semi-disaster...so that's my story.. will try and not be envious about your weather etc.

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

It might be one of those few times where our weather could rival yours. It's been 72-80 for most this week. Some record-dates were recorded, so part of the trend towards our warming climate. Its also dang dry as we had but half a tenth of rain for January, our used-to-be wettest month of the year! Eeck! I am watering again and the trees that are supposed to be very drought resistant are dying. So we enjoy those long views nearly to Hawaii, but I guess it's only Catalina and the great weather while we dry up to blow away.

Richard Sherman said...

Anonymous, you clearly win the competitive complaining contest! Wow and ouch.

Dennis -- seems like extreme weather is getting to be the new norm all over the world. Sounds like you might be in for a difficult summer.

Coleen Hanna said...

Just curious—have you tried Road Scholar? We have traveled with them several times with good experiences. In June we are heading to Copenhagen and Stockholm.

Richard Sherman said...

Coleen -- We've considered Road Scholar and have heard good things. No particular reason for not trying them and we may in the future.

Richard Sherman said...

Coleen -- Karen reminded me that we have actually been on two travel experiences with Road Scholar, back when it was called Elderhostel. They changed the name and broadened the travel/tour component years ago. We attended two study/learning sessions in California, one on the Getty family and another on the connection between California and Provence. Never did an actual tour with them, though.