Saturday, April 23, 2022

Volcano Snow, Tripping Out, Super Goo to the Rescue

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

4/23/22

Aloha All --

Kona Snow Cone
Well, not to be outdone by the mainland blizzards, last Sunday we had our own snowstorm -- on Mauna Kea, our 13k+ ft. volcano that is home to a bunch of observatories.  It wasn't much, really, but it made for a very pretty sight--from the beach.  Elsewhere there was a fair amount of rain, and we had yet another wet week with lots of cloudiness, usually beginning mid-morning.  The locals are complaining big-time, including me.

Karen's toe continues to improve, to the point that she played golf on Thursday.  To make it a bit easier, she played at a course that is closer to us and is much flatter than her usual one. The course has some interesting holes, including one along the shoreline, and the clubhouse overlooks picturesque Keauhou Bay.  But being much lower in elevation it can get quite toasty there, so she and her friends opted to start very early (that's 7:20 am in Geezer time). Still, she said it was kind of warm by mid-morning on holes that didn't have the usual upslope breeze.  She did ok, including getting one par, and was glad to get back to the game.  I went to the gym and did a pretty good workout compared to last week, when I was still a little off kilter from my Covid booster.

We heard some good news from our tour company this week.  Our first country, Azerbaijan, has dropped its Covid pre-test requirement, so our trip arrangements will be much easier with one less thing to worry about.  Current Covid cases in all three countries are very low, which also eases our minds.  We are starting our usual travel prep around the house, which includes a lot of cleaning, chopping and whacking. Plus, I will see my eye doctor later this morning for another shot to hopefully put more "seeing" in "sightseeing."

I finally got the super goo (Bondo) into the rotten spot on my lanai railing post.  The wood was mostly dry after a few days without rain, so I took advantage of the situation and got the hole filled and sanded.  Now I have to prime and paint not only that spot but the areas around it that need painting -- in other words, probably the whole railing.  Like I wrote last week, one thing always leads to another....

Ok, that's it for this week.  Try not to let the world's craziness get to you too much, though I admit I'm starting to think that there's not much hope for humans. Getting smarter doesn't mean wiser or kinder.


No comments: