Saturday, January 21, 2023

Bones, Golf, Cable Guy, Couch

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

1/21/23

Aloha Frozen Family!

Unlike last week this one was busy for me.  Of course, back in my working years this wouldn't even come close to a usual schedule.  Mo' betta this way.

I got my bone scan results and they were pretty good.  No significant change overall from 3 years ago, so it isn't likely I'll go back on medication just yet.  However, my status is still osteopenic, which means an elevated chance of back or hip problems in the future.  For now I'll just try to keep doing what I'm doing and see how things progress.  Getting older is just a barrel of laughs, right?

On Sunday Karen & I went to Planet Fitness and on Thursday we played 16 holes of golf at Makalei.  The workout was good, and I even added a bit more weight to some of the exercises.  The golf

Look at ME!!
was...well, like playing the slot machines in Vegas.  I had just enough really positive reinforcement to keep me going rather than throwing the clubs into the lake.  I got a couple of bogies, and on one tough hole had the best score I've ever gotten, plus on another I hit the best tee-shot of my career.  However,  there were quite a few pretty bad moments as well.  Thankfully our minds have a way of burying those.  We saw nearly 30 Nenes, but still only the three young ones we first spotted a few weeks ago.  It looks like this may be a lean year for offspring. By now we would normally be seeing family groups instead of pairs (btw, Nenes usually mate for life).  I'm not sure what the cause of the downturn might be -- hopefully the biologists may identify something.  The highlight of the day, though, was watching the white Peacock do his fan dance.  His tail isn't as developed as older males, but hopefully in time this will improve.

On Wednesday we had a visit from the cable repairman.  I haven't had any major issues with my internet, nor with our tv streaming, but apparently their fancy sensing equipment detected some intermittent issues with our connection and they suggested having a service call to head off any future problems.  Believe it or not the guy showed up right on time, and seemed to really know his stuff.  He cleaned up the connection where the service enters our house, which was jumbled mess of now-useless cabling that was installed 30 years ago at least.  That didn't completely clear up the signal and he replaced the old connector inside the house where the cable connects to our modem.  That helped, but still not aces.  He then checked the connection at the street and found corroded connectors, which he replaced. Still didn't satisfy him, and he wound up totally replacing the cable from the street to the house!  Although this sounds like a lot of work, he was done in 1.5 hours.  I can't see a difference in how well everything is working, but I'm a believer in preventative maintenance, so overall I'm glad we had the call.  Now the only old part of the whole system is the cable from the house entry to the modem, which I may replace myself. No rush, though.

One of the not so great features of living here is that often shopping for things is frustrating because of limited inventory.  We've been looking for a new sofa to replace one in our downstairs guest quarters but nothing on the island was what we liked.  Finally we went online and ordered one last fall, knowing we would have wait for months before it showed up.  Patience is a necessity living here.  Anyway, the sofa arrived on Friday and it looks just fine.  However, we now have to get someone to haul the old one away.  We thought we had someone lined up but they will do it in their spare time -- in other words, more patience required........

While we were playing golf on Thursday we got a call from an old college friend who is visiting the island for several days.  It was a treat to have him and his wife come to dinner last night and catch up on our lives.  We hadn't seen them for maybe 10 years, so it was chance to get reacquainted and rekindle our friendship.  They live near Denver, and we might work out a trip to Colorado this summer to revisit them and other friends, plus enjoy some time in the mountains.

Ok, that's about it for this week.  Off to market, beach, and then a NAP.  Take care, stay warm, and keep your b.s. armor on.



No comments: