Saturday, November 18, 2023

Leis, Eye Shot, PT Reject

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

11/18/23
 
Aloha Everyone ---
 
Last week I wrote that we were going to drop by the Kona Coffee Festival Lei Contest later in the
Pound 'em!
morning.  We did, and it turned out to be a much bigger treat than we anticipated.  It was held at a community center where the morning's events included not only the leis but also a performance by the local Daikufuji Taiko Drummers (kids from a nearby Buddhist Temple), followed by a group of Irish Dancers, then by Miss Kona Coffee '24
Lots of work!
doing her Tahitian hula performance that helped her win the pageant.  Outside, the food booths offered everything from Poi to Mochi balls to Malasadas. All of this was absolutely delightful and the diversity captures the character of Kona perfectly.  Great fun!

On Tuesday I had a double dose of medical attention.  First was my eye exam, and as I expected I needed a shot.  The edema wasn't too bad, particularly considering it had been a little over 3 months since my last injection.  I'll go back right before we leave on our Ethiopia trip, but I may hold off getting another shot until we get back.  
 
The second medical appointment was with the Physical Therapist to assess my back. This was my first session and, after completing the usual 200 pages of medical history and signing promises to pay my bill, not be late, and allow them to turn me into a pretzel, I spent about 45 minutes with a therapist.  He was very knowledgeable and thorough, and he seemed to be very careful to identify my specific problem.  He first did an assessment of my flexibility, strength, symmetry, and balance. This was a similar exam to the one the orthopedic guy had done, but I thought it was even more thorough.  He wanted to know what exercises I do routinely, had me demonstrate them, and then suggested just a few others that were simple, quick, and portable. I was very impressed that the exercises he recommended were complimentary to what I am routinely doing now rather than replacements or add-ons. Whereas I was expecting a regime of strengthening exercises, he indicated that his exam showed I really don't need those.  His suggestions focused on stretching the lower back in ways I'm not doing now, and on increasing my hip extension and range of motion. I also appreciated the simplicity of his suggestions very much, because I told him up front that I am a minimalist -- I don't want exercise to become a major focus of my daily life.  And get this -- his overall assessment is that I don't need any more formal sessions and he advised me to cancel the ones I have scheduled!! I definitely agree with him -- this problem began about six months ago and at that time it was a serious concern to me, but it has gotten better and better and at the moment is really not much of an issue.  Wow! I'm a PT reject! I will certainly return, though, if things get bad again -- I'm a strong believer in PT.

Speaking of exercise, Karen played 16 holes with our mutual golfing friend on Monday.  She did pretty well, including 1 par and she saw quite a few Nenes that have returned for the season.  She also saw all three of the white peacocks.  The male is getting quite big and this year might be his time to debut a white fan tail. It will be interesting and we'll see if we can get a photo or two.  I didn't play golf this week but on Monday I went to Planet Fitness instead of playing golf -- not as much fun but much faster.  A full workout on the various machines takes about 1 hour, in keeping with my minimalist philosophy. Then, in a blazing burst of energy, we both went to PF yesterday!  This certainly is a high water mark for the time since we returned from our Balkans trip, and it hopefully means we're recovered from our double vaccinations.

My latest techno/house project involves investigating the possibility of switching to fiber internet instead of the cable service we have now.  Hawaiian Telcom has now strung fiber lines all around town (a logistically huge and expensive project) and has begun offering service to home subscribers.  This is really good news because it breaks Spectrum's near-monopoly as an internet service provider and the competition will hopefully keep prices down.  One problem for us, though, is that it would require running a new network cable from the spot in the garage where the fiber line would be installed to the main house in a way that would hide the cable and not be hideous.  Our house isn't the typical mainland setup where the cable could just be run through the attic. We have no attic.  In fact we have no ceiling per se -- the wood we see above is in fact the roof.  No drywall, no dropped ceiling of any kind except in the garage. Anyway, I think I've figured a way to use our crawl space and an existing conduit that will work.  If so, then if Spectrum raises my rate too high, I can use the possibility of switching to Hawaiian Telcom as a bargaining chip.  And running the new cable might be a challenging and fun project!  I'll keep you posted.

Ok, that's all for this week. Hang in there.  I don't know about you, but it seems like I'm in the center lane of a highway and the drivers to the right and to the left are going berserk, even bouncing up and over the guard rails.  Anyway, try to stay warm and healthy!

No comments: