Saturday, December 9, 2023

Switch to Fiber, Golf Jinx, Grand Jury Duty?

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

12/9/23
 
Aloha All ---
 
Well, my timing for getting my cables run to handle fiber optic service turned out to be excellent!  This week Spectrum raised our rate by 25%.  I called to complain and didn't get anywhere -- they wouldn't match the price I can get for a year or more with Hawaiian Telcom's promotional rate, and Spectrum would still be higher than HT even when my fiber service increases after the introductory period. So, I then contacted Hawaiian Telcom and got more details on their fiber optic service, and went ahead and ordered it. The installation is scheduled for next Thursday.  Should be interesting. I'll wait to cancel Spectrum until I'm sure everything is working ok with the fiber service, but this time next week I should have faster internet at a lower cost.  With my new cable set up all it will take for me is to unplug the modem cable from our router and plug in the new cable I ran to where the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) will be located in the garage.  Fingers crossed.

My bragging about doing so well at golf has come back to bite me.  This week Karen, our friend, and I
Grrrrr!

played on Tuesday.  It was a gorgeous day.  The course was beautiful.  We saw lots of peacocks and nesting Nenes.  I played really, really, badly.  For some reason I just couldn't seem to hit the ball!!  After 11 holes of exhausting frustration we called it a day.  Karen and our friend were also having a bad day, possibly due my negative influence.  I hope it was just a matter of sore muscles and stiffness from being a troll in our crawl space for a good part of the previous couple of days.  Anyway, I'll certainly give it another try next week.  If I do well, though, I'm keeping my mouth shut.

Speaking of jinxes, the latest obstacle to my bucket list attempt to finally visit Ethiopia came this week in the mail -- a letter from the Circuit Court appointing me to the Grand Jury for 2024.  I would ordinarily be interested in this duty -- it involves deciding whether cases have enough evidence to go to court.  However, it entails being on call the entire year, including, of course, the time we are scheduled to be in Ethiopia and Kenya.  In the fine print of the letter it says that you can be excused on the basis of previously arranged and paid travel plans.  So I've crafted a letter explaining our arrangements, and enclosed a copy of our flight itinerary.  Hopefully this will get me out of  it.  I'll certainly let you know.!

Ok, we're off to market and our beach breakfast picnic.  Take care.  Be nice to your AI -- hopefully it will then be nice to you.

5 comments:

Barbara Eshbaugh said...

I did grand jury in Hamilton and learned how many shady characters there are in Middletown and Hamilton....the appointment goes on forever and I was a fill-in or whatever the term is-I bet they will excuse you!
Hope Santa find a chimney-maybe not but have a happy anyway and remember golf is just a good walk gone bad....

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

I never got the call for Grand Jury. Never served on a jury though I was willing, the selection always ended before I was called to be grilled by the lawyers. A couple years ago I asked to be permanently excused as I was having problems sitting that seems to have ended my jury career!

I am envious that you have choices for fiber optic cable. Our service is DSL when it works! We tried Elon's Starlink and it was worse. Perhaps this year it works better as there are more satellites?

I am guessing you did the CAT6 Crawl because a wifi mesh system wouldn't connect up your house? Otherwise it seems like lots of work. That part does work here, including the new bird feeder with a motion sensing camera! Well, sometimes it works.

Richard Sherman said...

Barb -- I'm sure Grand Jury duty would reveal the same thing here about in trouble with the law. At any rate, I'm pretty sure they will let me out of serving at least during the period of our trip to Ethiopia. The real threat to the trip is geopolitics and internal ethnic conflict. Keeping our fingers crossed.

The Makalei course is so uniquely beautiful that if you're paying attention to your surroundings you can't really have a bad outing......

Richard Sherman said...

Dennis -- I was very surprised (and pleased) when Hawaiian Telcom invested so heavily in fiber. It isn't available everywhere here, and the best they can offer in many places is DSL.

The Cat6 cables under the house are optional (except for the one that connects our modem to our router), because my router can cover the entire house without mesh. However, a hard wired connection likely gives better and more reliable performance for streaming. One of my cables connects the router to my Receiver which streams via HDMI cable to our TV. This could be done with wifi but I don't think it would be as high performance. Another Cat6 cable hard wires the router to my desktop computer, which again could be done with wifi but not with the same performance capabilities. Of course, it could be argued that this obsession with performance is a symptom of geezer self-delusional machismo.

Anonymous said...

"Your Inner Geezer" Fascinating and very true! You are as old as you think you are. Pep talks for Seniors might be helpful for some on the cusp of giving in to that negative stereotyping.