Saturday, December 2, 2023

Wordle in 8, Kona Low, Cable Guy

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

12/2/23
 
Aloha Everybody ---
 
Well, I jinxed myself with all that talk about solving Wordle in 1 or 2 guesses.  This week I went to the other extreme and after my 6th guess there were still at least 2 possible words, so on the basis of my lousy luck up to that point I gave myself a score of 8!  My strategy was good -- identify the obvious possibilities and then make a guess that eliminates as many as possible.  For example, a bunch of words might end in "-ly" and another large group might end in "-te," making your best strategic guess one would remove one or the other set of words and also eliminate as many other letters as possible.  Right.  Good strategy. Except it didn't work this time.  The letters and their positions in my guesses just didn't help narrow down the list enough.  Oh well, I expect my memory will follow the Las Vegas model and dim the losses more than the gains and I'll still keep trying to win.....

Karen and I played golf on Tuesday with our friend and the weather was gorgeous.  No turkeys, by the way, but we did see lots of peacocks and nenes.  I got one par and a couple of bogeys, and this time my overall playing was more consistent from hole to hole -- not great but not overwhelmingly frustrating, either.  I hope I'm not jinxing things again.

Mauna Kea
It was a good thing we chose Tuesday for our golf outing, because overnight we experienced a weather pattern called a "Kona Low," something that in winter is caused by a dip in the jet stream that picks up moisture from the tropics and carries it westward across the islands, continuing on to the west coast of North America. This shifts our wind from the usual trade wind direction of northeast to southwest and makes our side of island suddenly the target of weather patterns rather than the Hilo side.  In this case the Kona Low brought up a huge amount of moisture and some strong winds.  Wednesday and Thursday were rainy all day with occasional scary wind blasts, and over those two days my rain gauge recorded 3".  Also, Mauna Kea got its first snow of the season. Things were a bit better yesterday and today is close to normal.  Imagine -- 3 days of crappy weather!!  We hunkered down and whimpered.

Despite the bad weather (or maybe because of it) I made good progress on my cabling project.  I got all the cables tacked up under the house and brought up through the walls to their proper location.  The coaxial connectors were the easiest to put on, and they work!!  The cat6 connectors, on the other hand are a different story.  They require the precise positioning of 8 fine wires into the connector at the same time.  It took some practice, a lot of patience, my extra strong pair of reading glasses, and a few botched attempts to finally get them on.  If the tester shows one or more wires isn't carrying a signal, then you have to cut off one or more of the connectors and start over.  Needless to say I was *very* happy when all the lights on the tester turned green!  The new cat6 capability means I accomplished the project's goal of making us fiber-ready in case I have a falling out with Spectrum Cable. All I have left now is to do some cleaning and tidying up, though I may decide to run a few more cat6 cables to replace my older cat5.  I've got plenty of leftover cable and now that putting on the connectors is part of my cable guy skill set, why not?

I managed to get a few decorations up but no lights yet.  Barring interference from the weather, I should be able to get more stuff up this weekend and next week we might even get out our artificial tree.  In other words, I'm inching closer to the Holiday spirit. It sure is hard to get the warm and fuzzies, though, when you look at the domestic and international news.  Is it possible to resign from the human race?

Off to market and our beach breakfast picnic.  Take care.  Careful with that snow shovel!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I am stuck after five tries, and have more than one option left, I stop trying to solve the World. That way I don't have a "failure" on my record (I think).