Saturday, March 23, 2024

20/60; Patience, Grasshopper

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

3/23/24
 
Aloha All---
 
We've had a great time this week with our mainland guests.  One of the sisters has never been to Hawai'i
Pu'uhonua O Honaunau
before, and the other was here 19 years ago, so everything is new or only vaguely recalled for them. We've been in full touring mode this week, visiting the iconic sights on the island, like Kealakekua Bay where Captain Cook met his fate when took one voyage too many, and several important pre-contact Hawaiian archeological sites. Today we are driving south to Volcanos Nariona.Park to see Kilauea, spend the night, and then continue around the island on Sunday. While we are in the volcano area we're going to have dinner with two other friends who are visiting from Colorado, even more fun.

Now for my eyeball update.  After my shot a week ago Thursday my vision quickly improved. By the time I saw my regular retina doctor on Tuesday just five days later my acuity had gone from 20/200 to 20/60.  The tomograph scans showed much less edema, but there was still a considerable amount left.  Since then my improvement has slowed to a crawl, though I think I notice a little improvement each day.  I sure wish it would pick up the pace, though, because I still have trouble reading small print that I used to see easily, and a number of daily tasks are frustratingly difficult when they used to be easy -- like writing this.  Oh well, I'll try to be patient.  My next injection is scheduled in 3 weeks.  I'll keep you posted.

Ok, got to hit the road.  Take care.  Focus on the important things, like enjoying a good beer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your updates. I keep positive thoughts for your eyes to improve.
Happy for you to be enjoying your mainland visitors. You give great island updates.
Keep your gheko friends happy with breakfast
We appreciate our recent visit and comfortable stay! Aloha!