Saturday, April 13, 2024

Back To Bogie-Land, Car Shopping

 [Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

4/13/24
 
Aloha Everybody --
 
Hope you enjoyed the eclipse.  It was a non-event here for two reasons,   First, it was only a partial eclipse, unlike the total one that much of the midwest and northeast were treated to (assuming cloud cover didn't screw up the show).  Second, it occurred here very early in the morning, and the sun hadn't yet cleared the top of the mountain (i.e., volcano) to our east. Anyway, there were plenty of news stories and photos online, so we experienced it vicariously. 
 
The big event for me this week was getting back to golf after almost four months off.  We were joined by
Toll Collector
our usual golf partner, plus a visitor who was on the Wednesday cruise ship in port.  I was wary of having a fourth person in the group at first, but it worked out ok.  He was a friendly guy from Mexico City who  was consistently a notch better than us but not intimidatingly so.  Anyway, I did a solid "meh," with some decent shots and one bogie to go along with a lot of really lousy shots as well.  We invented a new Kona-Lago scorecard entry ---"AB," for "A Bunch."  With all the rain we've been getting the course was in great shape.  We didn't get any rain and it was pleasantly overcast most of the time.  We saw
I Need a Crowbar

quite a few Peacocks and also 13 Nenes.  Interestingly, the Nenes were in one flock, which is rare.  This might be because they are about to leave for the season and they take off as a group.  Unlike Canadian geese, they don't migrate far  -- just to another part of the island.  We made it through 12 holes before pooping out. Not bad for a first outing.  We'll try again next week.
 
It was a good thing we played on Wednesday because Thursday afternoon and all day yesterday were rainy and  cool. We opted not work out in the pool those days and instead went to the gym yesterday, just like a pair of mainlanders.

I'm considering getting a new SUV to replace my 2007 Honda CRV.  I bought the 2007 used after I totaled  my Honda Pilot about 12 years ago. It's been a great car and has no major issues at the moment, but it now has 60k miles and lacks nearly all of the safety features of the newer models.  After doing a lot research online and using Consumers Reports' latest evaluations, I've narrowed my choices to the new Honda CRV and the Subaru Forrester.  Last week I visited the Kona dealers for each brand to get a quick in-person look.  Walking onto each lot gave me the same feeling I bet Frodo had when he entered Mordor -- impending doom and abject helplessness and loss of control.  I didn't talk price at that time, I just focused on the physical features of the cars.  On Thursday I went back to the Honda dealer to get a very close look and to take a test drive. This went well.  But when I asked about the bottom line price I found I was in a land where nothing is what it seems, and the window sticker numbers are like my golf score -- illusory and lower than reality.  I'll go through this again with the Subaru dealer of course, but it remains to be seen whether I'll get a number I can compare to the Honda deal.  Yuk!!!!  I'll let you know, perhaps next week.
 
Off to something more pleasant -- market and breakfast picnic, though this morning we may get rained out. Take care, stay safe & sane......

4 comments:

SimoneStan said...

You might check with your car insurance company to see if there is any great difference in what your coverage cost will be for each model.

Coleen Hanna said...

I really don’t like vehicle shopping and I avoid it if I can. I had a little 2015 Ford Focus standard shift which I loved. Not so great in the snow, but I didn’t mind. I totaled it in January, 2022. I reluctantly went with a 2022 Subaru Crosstrek, automatic transmission. It is much better in snow, and I love the safety features, but otherwise it’s just a vehicle. Good luck with the process, and I don’t envy you!

Richard Sherman said...

SimoneStan -- Good idea. The cost of both cars is nearly the same and so are the safety ratings, so I'm expecting the insurance to be about the same -- both much higher than I currently pay for the 2007, of course,

This whole process is not fun at all, partly because I'm not thrilled with cars themselves. I know there shouldn't be an emotional component to this decision, but I can't help it. Objectively speaking these are both excellent choices according to trusted sources, like Consumers Reports, so I don't think I can go wrong with either one. But my previous cars also had bit of emotional appeal that these lack so far......

Anonymous said...

Yes, we are powerless in the hands of car salespersons. There are websites that can provide helpful info, such as what certain models are going for recently in your area. Did you mention seeking a hybrid? Excellent gas mileage.