Saturday, April 27, 2024

Escape From Mordor, Career In Used Car Sales ?

Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

4/27/24
 
Aloha Folks -- 

Well, I did it!  On Monday I bought a new Subaru Outback.  But it wasn't easy and it certainly wasn't pleasant, and I really hope to not go through this again.  As you recall, last week I was trying to decide between the Outback and a Honda CRV.  On Saturday I went back to the Honda dealer to take another drive in the CRV., and if it felt good I was going to buy a blue model that I had looked at before. Turns out Saturdays are NOT a good day for car shopping because people who work use that day to look at cars.  The place was jammed, and even though I had texted my salesperson in advance, he was with other customers.  He was willing to get somebody to go with me for another test drive, but he informed me the blue car was already sold to a buyer over in Hilo, and it was on its way to the dealer there.  That meant there wasn't another one in that color on the island, and I'd have to wait weeks before another one was available.  Other colors just didn't interest me, so I left, somewhat disgusted that my shopping efforts had led to nothing.  On the way home, though, I thought I might stop one more time at the Subaru dealer and take another drive in the Outback, as well as see what colors were available.

Just like the Honda dealer, the Subaru place was busy, and a substitute salesperson went with me for a drive.  I was very impressed with the car again, and it turned out there was a bronze color that was kind of interesting.  I decided that if the price was right I'd make a commitment right then and there,  Unfortunately my original guy was still in the middle of concluding a sale and wasn't available for negotiations.  I left word I'd be back Monday and that I was very interested. On Monday he was *again* with another customer, so I negotiated with a substitute.  Very quickly we came to agreement on the
She's a Beauty, Eh?

bottom line and I agreed to the deal.  However, I said I was curious what the trade-in value of my old car might be, a reasonable straight-forward question that I thought might lead to a quick answer after an inspection of my car,  WRONG.  For the nexr two hours it was like I was swimming in molasses. First, I provided a lot of specific information about the car and the sales rep did a Car Fax assessment,  Then he and a mechanic took it for a drive.  So far this was a reasonable process that didn't take very long.  Then the Manager got involved and the three of them talked among themselves for at least 20 minutes, then they disappeared.  Finally the salesperson returned with a low-ball, almost insulting offer that I immediately refused,  He countered a smidge, then I countered with the addition of some accessories to the deal.  The sales guy disappeared for another 15 minutes to confer with the Manager and returned with another low-ball offer.  It was becoming clear that the "good deal" I had gotten for the original bottom line was being intentionally erased by the trade-in offer.  I decided to sell the car myself rather than be taken advantage of like that.  've done some research on selling a car here in Hawai'i and in a day or two I'll advertise it online.  Never thought I'd be a used car salesman at this stage of my life!  I'll let you know how it goes.

We picked up the new car yesterday, but there were some hiccups even in doing that -- including an extra trip to the dealer in the morning for them to verify the final check, adding the car to our current insurance at the last minute, and giving us the wrong key. These were things that could have and should have been avoided if the dealer was more organized,  GRRRR. 

Quickly, in other news:  blood test results looked very good, Wednesday's golf game was pleasantly almost competent, and my dental exam on Thursday was "excellent," in the words of my dentist.  These were pleasant counterbalances to my adventures in Mordor.

Ok, off to market and the beach.  Take care and stay calm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard, unfortunately , you have experienced to the extreme what makes buying a new car such a dreaded ordeal. Those "I have to talk to my sales manager" meetings, etc., followed by small adjustments to the deal are so bogus and disrespectful. But, if you are happy with the car, its features, "drivability," and comfort, then forget the process and enjoy the product, including that special new car smell.

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

Glad you got a car you like. Other than the Forester I told you about, everyone I know has liked Subarus that I know.

You remind me why I hate dealerships in general. That used car trade in thing sounds about like a few journeys I made and probably most people. I sold my last couple of vehicles plus a few others. It has always worked out well. The last one I sold I asked the buyer to meet me at a branch of his local bank. He looked at my truck, we made a deal and I went with him to the cashier who wrote the cashiers check in my presence and he signed it over to me. That was the most secure sale I made.

Anonymous said...

Sorry this was such a hassle. I had to go to upstate New York to buy my Prius Prime XSE but tge experience was positive and I really like the car.

cecilia said...

Good suggestion from Dennis about how to sell your old one!
We went through the buying a car at a dealership dance last spring and yup, it is a serious pain in the tail. Even on a week day. Took most of the day just to keep telling them NO I don’t want extra warranty,NO this electric car doesn’t some service that you claim you already did and will not pay you for it, and No, you didn’t do some special sanitizer on it— there was chocolate on the dashboard.
Mercy!

Coleen Hanna said...

I guess I was lucky. I knew I wanted a Subaru Crosstrek. I went to the dealership and drove one, took it back, and cut a deal. It was January, 2022, and we were in the midst of suffering from supply-chain woes during the pandemic. I thought I would have to pay through the nose, but I think I got off pretty cheap. The biggest problem was that the car didn’t come until May, 2022. So I had four months of sharing a car with my husband. My previous car had been totaled so it was history. I hope this Subaru lasts until I die.

AKJ said...

You forgot to tell us the color of the Subaru. Please send us a photo.