Saturday, September 28, 2024

wet Fall, Medical Ambiguity, Heart to Heart

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland.]

9/28/24
 
Aloha Folks --
 
Well, it's officially fall,  Back in Ohio when we had our apple orchard we'd be racing gravity  to get  the crop picked and sold.  Hard, time-sensitive work that was anything but a nice relaxing retirement activity. Here the fall is still prime growing season and although I complain about the challenge of keeping our plants under control, amount of effort  pales in comparison,

As I write this the east coast is getting whacked by another major hurricane.  My condolences to the coastal residents, particularly in Florida, who are  going through yet another devastating weather event this year.  We have to cope with hurricanes here in Hawai'i, of course but not on the scale of the mainland,  Our fall so far has been very warm and wet -- last week we had a couple of storms that dropped a total of nearly 6 inches of rain in our specific area,  The pool is full to overflowing, and has been delightfully warm for our daily workouts. Our sunny afternoons have helped our pv system produce a surplus of electrons that have more than compensated for running the ac that we have in a few rooms.  We're coming to the end our our contract year with HELCO and it looks like we'll be giving them abut $150 this time -- whatever surplus we have at the end of the contact resets to zero.  The company needs it, I guess, in part to offset the costs of lawsuits from the Lahaina fires on Maui last year.  

I'm a little over one week from starting heart care from my new cardiologist.  The arrhythmia drug he prescribed has continued to keep my heart in normal rhythm most of the time, including during my Echo
Cardio-Selfie

Cardiogram last Thursday.  This is an amazingly informative ultrasound examination of the chambers, valves, veins and arteries of heart as it is actually beating.  I've seen the results online but I will get the full interpretation when I see my cardiologist on Wednesday.  For an 80-year-old muscle that has been beating even before I was born, it seems to be in fair shape and I forgive it for my AFib problem.  I  also had an ultra sound exam of my carotid arteries, tee ones that send blood to the brain and visual system. I was hoping there might be a fixable problem that would account for my vision difficulties, but I don't think that is the case.  On Wednesday the ambiguity about my sight continued when I saw my optometrist.  He can't correct my distance vision with glasses, and he can see no structural reason for my vision loss, with the exception of cataracts.  However, they are not severe and can't account for the sudden loss of acuity,  So I'm still searching for a solution.  Ambiguity and uncertainty suck..........

Ok. Back to your reality-choosing dilemma.

No comments: