Saturday, August 8, 2026

Waiting Pau: Cool Car, Short Trees

[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland. Since much of my news these days relates to trying to age gracefully, this series might be called The Geezer Gazette.

8/7//26
 
Aloha Folks!
 
Well, my big news this week is that my waiting list has evaporated.  On Thursday my Subaru dealer finally installed the a.c. parts that were ordered over a month ago.  Whether this fixes the problem permanently remains to be seen, of course, but at least right now the a.c. unit is putting out plenty of cool air. The attempted repairs have been totally covered by warranty, so I haven't been burdened by this financially, but it has certainly been a hassle and a huge waste of time.  
 
Yesterday our tree trimmers returned and finished the job they were supposed to do two weeks ago.  My total wait for this project was about 1.5 months.  This now means I currently don't have any delayed projects to grouse about.  What's a Geezer/Curmudgeon to do!!  Oh, right  just take a look at the national and world news -- plenty of grouse-worthy material there........
 
Karen and I played golf on Wednesday.  We wanted to make sure we got this in because next week we
Big World to Explore

will be busy preparing for our trip to Alaska/Colorado.  I didn't do so hot, but Karen did pretty well, with 2 pars and a bogey.  The course was really dry because we haven't had much rain lately. On Makalei's hilly course this means the ball will really roll a long way once it lands.  This helps get more distance when the hole is downhill, but when it is uphill the ball can roll back so that it shortens your shot considerably. In fact there are a couple of holes on the course where on occasion I've actually had negative yardage!  When this happens we invoke Kon-a-Lago Rules and play the ball from where it first hit the ground.  Anyway. we saw quite a few Peacocks and Peahens this time, including one white Peahen.  This is the time of year when the mothers bring their babies out to forage. a very cute sight.  We counted about a dozen young ones, and there may have been more still hidden in the margins of the fairways. 
 
In Geezer Gazette news I saw my eye doctor on Tuesday.  He recommended a laser procedure that can reduce or even eliminate the need for pressure-drops.  These drops lower the pressure inside your eyeballs to help stave off eye damage from Glaucoma.  I've been using them nightly for years and my pressures have been low.  If the laser treatment works it may mean I can stop the drops entirely.  Fine with me -- the fewer medications the better.  The procedure is called "selective laser trabeculoplasty."  It is non-invasive with no down-time and no pain. I'll have this done after I return from our trip.  Note, this is unrelated to my other eye problems, so I'm not expecting any improvement in my vision.
 
Ok, that's it for now.  I may not be sending a missive next week because I'll be getting ready to freeze my butt off in Alaska.  I'll catch up when we return.  In the meantime, try to keep a firm grasp on the distinction between delusional blather and rational assessment.  These days we need to defend valuing the difference. Carpe Vitam!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It has been one of the warmest summers in CO that I remember..
Hoping for good weather when you arrive.
Enjoy Alaska!