[Note: This is another blog based on my weekly emails to my family on the mainland. Since much of my news these days relates to trying to age gracefully, this series might be called The Geezer Gazette.
9/26/26
Aloha Fellow Humans! I promise this entry has not been generated by AI -- but then, how could you tell? Come to think of it, how do I know YOU'RE not an AI?! What interesting times we live in, eh?
Well, the big flap here this week has been the approach of Hurricane Nolo. As I write this the storm is in full swing and dumping lots of rain on the East and South parts of our island. So far we have had very little ill effects in our immediate area and I hope it stays that way. Tomorrow night will be the time when I'll know for sure. Tracking hurricanes has been a favorite pastime of mine during our 25 years of living here. I've seen them behave in all sorts of ways, but Nolo is the strangest so far. As many hurricanes in our region do, this one was passing well south of the island, heading from east to west. Then it took a 95degree turn to the right, which brought it directly in line with the bottom of the island. It has been approaching for the last few days, and right now it is about 50-100 miles south of the island. This might seem like imminent doom, but now it is doing something even more bizarre -- it's making another 90 degree turn, this time to the left (west). It is currently projected to stay well south of us and meander west northwest until it peters out. Very, very strange. But then, craziness seems to be the dominant quality of our times.....
Speaking of odd behavior, Kilauea is locked and loaded, but still hasn't fountained as it was expected to do again. There has been occasional oozing, gurgling and sputtering from Pele's pimple, but nothing dramatic. Unpredictability seems to be another quality of the times, I guess.
In Geezer Gazette news, last Saturday Karen and I had our Covid and Flu shots. We opted for both at once just to get it over with so that both vaccines would be in effect when we make our trip to Florida in a few weeks. To refresh your memory, this trip will be for my evaluation at Bascom-Palmer Eye Institute in Miami. The side effects of the shots were very minimal this time, just a slightly sore arm for a couple of days. Also minimal was the recovery from my SLT procedure, which was just a day of minor discomfort, a light ache in my eyeball. I'll have the other eye done next week.
Ok, that's it for this week. I don't know about you, but I yearn for the good old days when reading the news didn't make me cringe and want to shout the old saying, "Stop world! I want to get off!!!!" Take care and keep smiling. Carpe Vitam!


No comments:
Post a Comment