Saturday, August 22, 2020

Eyeballs, Photons, and Mean Microbes

8/22/20

Aloha All!

Quiet here, thankfully.  I may have health news later today, as I have an eye doctor appointment around lunchtime.  Things seem good, but the tests will tell the true story.  It has been just a month since the last injection, and my experience with this new drug (Eylea) so far has been that I might be able to go another month without one.  That would be good news, of course, but over five years of this problem I’ve learned that we need to keep a low threshold for treating the edema, otherwise it can quickly get worse.  As long as my health insurance (Medicare + Aetna) covers the cost of the new drug, I’m more than willing to endure the treatment, which sounds worse than it is – i.e., a needle stuck in your eyeball.

All of the rain we’ve been getting has really invigorated the garden...and the weeds.  As I’ve said before, gardening and landscaping here consists mainly of near constant aggressive pruning and keeping stuff under control.  Our gardener, who comes once every two weeks, helps with this in the front area, but we still do a lot more there and in the other areas.  Every time he visits he loads up a truckload of green waste.  Things do slow down in the “winter” but we never have a period of total shut down like we did in Ohio.  Another price of living in paradise.

Covid 19 continues to surge on Oahu and the Governor has pushed back the visitor quarantine waiver until October.  In the meantime here on our island our new cases continue to creep up, though so far they haven’t overwhelmed our meager hospital resources.  This week 4 more people were arrested for quarantine violations, all in Hilo. Two were residents returning from the mainland, and two were visitors.  To me this isn’t about rights, but about responsible behavior — a concept some people seem to have difficulty with.  Also in Hilo there are 8 new cases this week in a school that had just reopened. Disturbing. Anyway, so far there haven’t been any additional restrictions on our island, though there have on Oahu, but many of us are getting a bit nervous.  We have about 45 active cases now, and of course they are isolated and no longer spreading the virus, but that means there are a number of asymptomatic people around who are contagious and don’t know they are spreading it bigly.

We had less rain this week and a bit more sun.  We finished our solar month just a smidge in the red, so we definitely picked up some extra photons.  The gain was despite the fact that we used our bedroom a.c. a couple of nights this week.  I’ve calculated that our new unit is very, very efficient, and overall a good investment.

Ok, off for our usual routine, though we will have to get back in time for me to go to the eye doctor.  I plan on a nice nap when that’s over with.  Take care everyone.  Stay healthy and help other people do the same......

Dick

3 comments:

AKJ said...

Wishing you a good outcome from your doctor visit! I first I didn't understanding about the photons and being in the red. Now I get it -- solar power.

Hoppy said...

I almost didn't get through your whole missive. When I read, "a needle stuck in your eyeball", I felt like I had a needle stuck in my eyeball. I don't have much to add except a trivia question: What state has the second-most COVID deaths?

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

The "yard" here goes into "no weed" about the beginning of July when they burn out for lack of water and lasts till the next rain, November often. So I move from weed eradication to tree and bush trimming along with ever-hopeful mulch distribution to limit weediness next year! Different schedule, just upside down.