Monday, August 10, 2020

Mainland Missive: Techno-Toy Turnaround

 8/8/20

Aloha Everybody!                    

This was a very quiet week – same same but different as we ride out the pandemic here in paradise.

On Wednesday Karen played golf and made it fairly dry until the last hole, then got rather drenched.  That day was cloudy at home, too, but the rain held off until later in the day.  I went to Planet Fitness while Karen was playing golf and was pleased there weren’t very many people. Gyms are of course one of the highest risk places because of the huffing and puffing going on.  As I mentioned before, we are monitoring the situation there closely and will stop going if we think it is too risky.  But now that everybody is wearing masks the whole time, this particular gym seems ok – lots of room with machines spread out, and all the huffers and puffers faced away from those machines we use.  Also, we have been going when few people were there working out, and if it ever seemed too busy we’d leave.

Hawai’i is having a real upsurge in CV cases, as you may have heard.  This is mainly on Oahu, but we have also seen an increase.  On Oahu there have been several days of record-breaking new cases, and the ICU availability is getting tight.  The analysis seems to be that if we have a week of triple digit increases this will soon overwhelm the health care system.  The Governor has warned that things may have to be locked down again unless people start behaving responsibly, namely by wearing masks and avoiding large groups, even groups of friends and family.  This week interisland travel restrictions started again, but with a twist. If you go from here (or one of the other neighbor islands)  to Oahu you won’t have to quarantine, but when you return you will. Many of us on the other islands who are watching the big upsurge on Oahu are thinking this is a good idea. Still, a big bummer.

In other news, here’s further evidence of my weirdness.  On Thursday I my new techno-toy computer was delivered and on Friday I returned it to the local Costco.  As I mentioned, this toy had all the bells, whistles, and firepower I was looking for, except that the solid state drive was too small.  The plan was to swap out the smaller one with a larger 1tb drive I bought online.  I’ve done this before and assumed I could do it with this model.  Before I even fired up the new computer for the first time, I checked inside to assure myself that I could do the job.  Whoa!  This was like the difference between looking under the hood of an old Chevy and under the hood of a Ferrari.  I couldn’t even FIND the SSD drive!  Getting to it would require some serious dismantling of the innards, unlike the procedure I’ve done before.  So back it went.  Costco’s return policy was a godsend here – no questions asked, though I did explain it to the clerk.  Back down the internet rabbit hole to find another one.

Ok.  I hope you are all well and comfy there.  Carpe Diem!
 

3 comments:

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

I am trying to attend a conference on Zoom. It was scheduled to take place in Puerto Rico and I wouldn't have gone, but being virtual it doesn't matter where it is so I decided to hang with the ornithologists for a week. I'm wondering how different this will be from APA gone virtual during virus? I didn't try to do that one. NAOC is much smaller I think. Anyway, it's a good no contact way to see what's happening in the world.

As for gyms, we've had a gym room since we retired as its an hour drive RT to go to any gym from home. Just doesn't seem worth the effort. This week we got a new stationary bike from our daughter. She ordered one, used it since April and found the main knob to turn up the friction looked odd. She called them, asked for a new knob, looks like a $5 item. They said they couldn't send one nor send a tech due to CV and they would send a new bike. When they delivered they said, we're not allowed to remove the old bike nor put the new one in your house! So we got the "old" bike that has a little flaw in the tighten-down knob. Wow! just when the old Spaulding bike was sounding a bit cranky (pun)! Our treadmill quit completely a month before CV started and I was looking at some thing to replace it. I tend not use cardio machine much as I rather go walk and do, so I wasn't moving to fast at replacing the treadmill given that it was spring and outdoors is amazing and there's only so many episodes of American Picker.

Let's hope we all survive the CV as the more I learn about "after" effects the less I like the disease. We are staying home most all the time.

cecilia said...

Bummer about the new computer—glad for the no problem return policy!
Major bummer about the uptick in cases. The circus here seems to be mostly about school. Our district is starting out online, but my friend who teaches in Kansas is being jerked around constantly by her school board who keep changing signals and not responding to practical questions. Big source of stress for lots and lots of people. Good time to be retired.